I love cherries! They can be super expensive this time of year, but I just had to buy some cherries for making Valentine’s Day treats this year. Of course this recipe didn’t make it out in time for Valentine’s Day, but this Cherry Almond Smoothie is a perfect anytime post-workout drink or just a fruity treat.
Cherries (especially tart ones) are a great recovery food. In fact, research shows that tart cherries are one of the best foods for fighting inflammation. While this smoothie is made with sweet cherries, you still get antioxidant benefits plus you can add a shot of tart cherry juice to the smoothie if you want even more. This smoothie is full of fruit sugars to help replenish glycogen post-workout, and you can add a scoop of vanilla or chocolate protein powder to kick up the protein as well (you may have to add a bit more almond milk).
- 1-1/2 cups fresh cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon creamy almond butter
- In a blender pitcher or NutriBullet cup, combine the pitted fresh cherries, almond milk, and almond butter.
- Blend until pureed and smooth.
- If you want protein, blend in a scoop of vanilla or chocolate protein powder (you may need to add more almond milk to get the consistency you like).
- For a chocolate version, blend in 1-2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder according to your taste preference.