UPDATE: Because this recipe didn’t seem to be working very well for many people, I listened to everyone’s feedback and re-made this recipe: the new recipe is Caramel Chai Protein Pancakes (don’t worry – they are super easy to make!).
Finding a quick , healthy, and high-protein breakfast can be a bit of a challenge for me since I can’t eat eggs and I don’t always feel like eating meat for breakfast. To remedy this, I made up this single-serving protein pancake recipe that is egg-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and also happens to be vegan! I like to top my pancakes with applesauce and cinnamon, homemade Strawberry Jam, or almond butter and agave nectar. Choose healthy toppings and enjoy : )
- 2 Tablespoons protein powder (I use Sun Warrior Vanilla)
- 1 Tablespoon gluten-free oat flour
- 1 Tablespoon ground chia seed or ground flax seed *
- 1 Tablespoon ground almonds (or other ground nuts)
- 1 teaspoon Truvia or stevia powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 3 Tablespoons water or milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat a non-stick skillet on the stove over medium heat.
- While the skillet is heating, whisk together the protein powder, oat flour, ground chia seed, ground almonds, Truvia, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the water and vanilla and stir well.
- Pour into batter into 2-3 small pancakes and cook over medium-high heat until browned on each side.
- Top with Strawberry Jam or your favorite healthy topping and enjoy!
Note: The ground chia seeds or ground flax seeds are essential to this recipe as a binder. Also, the middle of the pancake takes longer to cook (and will still seem wet) so I would use a little lower heat setting (medium heat) and cook longer than traditional pancakes. Because of the type of ingredients, these will not turn out quite like regular pancakes. I am working on modifying this recipe so it will have more consistent results; til then, thanks for your positive input! It helps me put together a better recipe : )